HEY... FDA! ANSWER THESE 26 QUESTIONS ON ASPARTAME...TRUTHFULLY!
Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum.
Mission Possible World Health International
9270 River Club Parkway
Duluth, Georgia 30097
Posted: 21 December 2018
Betty Martini, Founder
- Why did you give blanket approval to the neurotoxin and teratogen aspartame in June, l996 that has been controversial since approval because of 92 documented symptoms from seizure and blindness to coma and death by your own report, and without public notification?
- Why is there a warning on saccharin that it causes cancer when there is no warning on aspartame. According to Joseph Rodicks in CALCULATED RICKS, page 161: "Saccharin is the least potent carcinogen ever detected in an animal study, the dose required to produce a given lifetime incidence of tumors is greater than that of any other known animal carcinogen." From Sweet'ner Dearest by H. J. Roberts, M.D., page 212: (Regarding the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation and Saccharin) "Urinary bladder tumors were found in a few male rats given large amounts of saccharin. There are two flaws. First, the validity of this rat model has been challenged by experts. Second, other researchers haven't been able to reproduce these findings. So you ask, "what's the big deal?" It became a real big deal when bureaucrats pounded on this mouse-to-man controversy by invoking the Delaney Amendment relative to use of saccharin. The FDA mandated that products containing it were to be labeled as potentially causing cancer in man. The producers of other sweeteners clearly were not displeased." In the case of aspartame in the Bressler Study it produced mammary tumors, uterine tumors and ovarian tumors. It also produced brain tumors in rats. In l985 the late Dr. Adrian Gross, honest FDA toxicologist, told Congress that aspartame violated the Delaney Amendment which forbids cancer causing additives being added to food. He said: "In view of all these indications that the cancer causing potential of aspartame is a matter that has been established way beyond any reasonable doubt, one can ask: What is the reason for the apparent refusal by the FDA to invoke for this food additive the Delaney Amendment to the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act? Is it not clear beyond any shadow of a doubt that aspartame had caused brain tumors or brain cancer in animals, and is this not sufficient to satisfy the provisions of that particular section of the law?" 1985b pg 1835-40 Further, secret trade information which was not so secret was discussed during Congressional Hearings where it was admitted complete conversion to DKP. This is diketopiperazine, a brain tumor agent.
- Why do you consider yourself above the law and violate it? Honest FDA Toxicologist, Dr. Gross continued in Congress: "...how would the FDA justify its position that it views a certain amount of aspartame (50 mg/kg body-weight) as constituting an ADI (Allowable Daily Intake) or "safe" level of
setting a "tolerance" for this food additive and thus a violation of that law? AND IF THE FDA ITSELF ELECTS TO VIOLATE THE LAW, WHO IS LEFT TO PROTECT THE HEALTH OF THE PUBLIC?"
- You know the ADI was set for rats not humans. Why is this allowed? From Sweet'ner Dearest by H. J. Roberts, M.D., chapter 34: MOUSE OR MAN? MAYBE THE RATS WERE RIGHT?, page 211 "Fairy tales....can be dismissed as myths. On the other hand, our licensing and regualtory agencies must not be
"myth-led". Which brings me to the FDA's arbitrary increase of aspartame's ADI to 50 milligrams (mg)/kilograms (kg) body weight. (One kilogram is 2.2 pounds.) This questionable decision qualifies as
an action that succeeds in a'canceling reality." The ADI represents the projection of animal studies based on their lifetime intake. This was the testimony of Dr. Frank Young, former FDA Commissioner, before a committee of the U.S. Senate at a hearing on Nov 3, l987 titled, "NutraSweet" Health and Safety Concerns." Market research indicates that diabetics use about 11.4 mg. aspartame/kg daily (The Palm
Beach Post) March 8, 1990, p. D-13). The vast majority of my patients with severe reactions attributed to use of aspartame products got into trouble when their daily aspartame intake ranged from 10 to 18.3 mg/kg. Once this threshold was exceeded, they predictably suffered itching, rashes, severe headache, mental confusion, depression, visual problems, et cetera. (Hundreds of others experienced adverse effects after consuming amounts far below these levels.)
- Since there is an ADI showing there can be abuse, even though it was set for rats, how do you dismiss consideration altogether and give blanket approval of aspartame like it was sugar? Estimates today are that at least 9000 products contain this deadly poison.
- Why did you allow the drug aspartame to be marketed as an additive when you knew it was a drug and had biologic effects? And you can't say thatís not the case since Searle actually filed a drug application for aspartame in the 60's to treat peptic ulcers. You also know that as an additive there would be no safety monitoring. In other words, when deadly reactions and symptoms were reported, you could simply dismiss them as anecdotal. And Isn't that what you have done - listed 92 documented symptoms from four different types of seizures, coma, and blindness and dismissed them as simple anecdotes knowing they are reactions to a deadly drug that has no safety monitoring.
- Why have you permitted a drug that interacts with other drugs, including monoamine oxidase inhibitors, alpha-methyl-dopa and L-dihydroxphenylalanine to go unmonitored, when it is obvious that in the case Parkinson's Disease, the patient could easily lose his life. From ASPARTAME (NUTRASWEET) IS IT SAFE? by H. J. Roberts: "Aspartame or its components and breakdown products (metabolites) may cause changes in the brain comparable to those that appear to initiate or aggravate Parkinsonism. This is especially applicable to dopamine, a neurotransmitter whose concentration is reduced in Parkinsonism. Shabin and Albert (l988) indicated that patients with Parkinsonism"Öappear to be more prone to aspartame's neurological adverse effects." "A few of the changes in dopamine and serotonin
concentrations within the brain induced by aspartame, phenylalanine and aspartic acid are listed. * Phenylalanine is converted to tyrosine by the enzyme phenylalanine hydroxylase. Tyronsine undergoes a change to dihydroxyphenylalanine (levodopa, L-DOPA), which then is transformed to dopamine. * The chronic administration of excess phenylalanine and aspartic acid tends to decrease serotonin and other neurotransmitter within several regions of the brain, and may alter dopamine receptors in certain brain cells. * Crippling fluctuations in the motor performance of patients with Parkinsonism who are treated with levodopa have been improved by eliminating protein from their breakfast and lunch. Pincus et al (l986,l987) demonstrated a close correlation between elevatrd levels of the large neutral amino acids and aggravated symptoms of Parkinsonism, notwithstanding high plasma levodopa concentrations. These motor fluctuations improved when the amino acid levels declined. Such antagonism of levodopa's action by protein and amino acids probably reflects interference with its transport across the blood-brain barrier." From EXCITOTOXINS: THE TASTE THAT KILLS by neurosurgeon, Russell L. Blaylock, M.D., page 106: ..persons with Parkinson's disease should avoid all foods and drinks containing excitotoxin additives such as MSG, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, cysteine, and aspartate (NutraSweet)." and page 39 "Both glutamate and aspartame can cause neurons to become extremely excited and, if given in large enough doses, they can cause these cells to degenerate and die."
- How do you justify adding "DEATH" as a SYMPTOM of aspartame in your report of documented symptoms? Or do you just consider it the "ultimate symptom"? And when a product that causes DEATH is given blanket approval how do you justify no safety monitoring?
- How many complaints about aspartame/NutraSweet/Equal, etc. does it take for you to take action? In the early 80's there were 10,000 complaints and even then you were telling people you
were not taking complaints. It was even discussed in Congress that the FDA was sending them to the Aids Hotline? In the past year countless people say you would not take complaints and in the l996 report you say you had to destroy hundreds because you changed your bookkeeping system. Several organizations have existed since aspartame was approved warning the public and each of these have had hotlines with over 10,000 complaints. Mission Possible with operations around the world get case histories daily of those seriously ill and some even dying on this poison. Is it a policy that you won't list over 10,000 by not taking complaints or sending them somewhere else, or do you just constantly change your bookkeeping system! It is now estimated that 5 out of 7 people on aspartame already have symptoms or some disease!
- Since the FDA does not mandate the reporting of aspartame side effects by health professionals, how many does the 10,386 (9,737-April 20, 1995 + 649 - early l980s) complaints represent?
- How can the FDA justify the remarks of their spokesperson on the 700 Club TV show (February l994) who said: "further aspartame complaints by consumers would not make a difference in their deliberations." Do these remarks indicate a bias? After two 700 club TV shows in January and February 1995, over 100,000 people sent for a fact sheet on aspartame and MSG!
- Why does the FDA dismiss the rat' uterine polyps, mammary and ovarian tumors, marked atrophy of the testis, prostate, seminal vesicles, etc. in the FDA's 1977 Bressler Report, an investigation of lab practices of aspartame's manufacturer, G. D. SEarle & Co. in Skokie, Illinois?
- Why does the FDA dismiss the aspartame findings of: Jeffrey Bada, Ph.D. Woodrow Monte,
Ph.D. H. J. Roberts, M.D. Russell Blaylock, M.D. John Olney, M.D. Ralph Walton, M.D. Roger Columbe, Ph.D. Diana Dow-Edwards, Ph.D. Is it the policy of the FDA to accept only the findings of the manufacturer that say itís safe because of loyalty and dismiss the negative findings of world renowned physicians and researchers? A good example of the way the game appears to be played is the way Dr. Dow-Edwards was treated. NutraSweet funded this study on birth defects but when Dr. Dow-Edwards got disastrous results, rather than recall aspartame the NutraSweet Company withdrew their funding and Dr. Dow-Edwards had to pay for the study herself. Then neither NutraSweet or the FDA would accept this study. Isn't the message clear? "If you won't say itís safe we won't accept it, and neither will our loyal friends, the FDA."
- Why do you allow the manufacturer to test its own product and accept their data without "independent" replications? Why weren't the original aspartame studies replicated and why do you stand behind Monsanto who wants to prevent this? Especially in the face of the original studies being a target for an indictment for fraud that was not carried out because two U.S. prosecutors decided to work for the law firm defending the case instead of doing their job. Quite a reward, wouldn't you say?
- Why do you tell the public that aspartame was proven safe when what it proved is serious medical problems and cancer? FDA toxicologist Dr. Adrian Gross said in l976 in a memo: "The report of the Task force submitted in March l976 in essence constituted a stinging indictment of Searle and it contained various recommendations for regulatory action including referral to the Justice Department for review of possible criminal violations of the law." On Jan 10, l977 in a 33 page letter, FDA Chief Counsel Richard Merrill recommended to U.S. Attorney Sam Skinner, a grand jury investigate Searle for "apparent violations of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act 21 U.S.C. 355 and for concealing material facts and making false statements in reports of animal studies conducted to establish the safety of aspartame." Since these studies were never replicated explain why the public should accept them as showing safety in light of the above statements? Especially explain how rats reported dead in the Bressler Report were listed as alive later in the document. Maybe the manufacturer can tell us how to work this trick on those who have perished from this poison!
- Why did you approve aspartame in liquid based on the data of it in dry form? Why did the FDA officials tell the 3 member Board of Inquiry not to concern themselves with the liquid form?
- Why do you mislead the public with an IFIC brochure on aspartame with false information? These false statements are answered in an attachment with the facts. As an example: "Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are building blocks of protein and are found naturally in protein-containing foods, including meats, grains and dairy products. Methanol is found naturally in the body and in many foods such as fruit and vegetable juices." Why don't you tell the public that aspartic acid and phenylalanine are NEUROTOXIC when isolated from the other amino acids in protein and go past the blood brain barrier and deteriorate the neurons of the brain causing brain damage of varying degrees. In food phenylalanine may be 4% not 50% like in aspartame flooding the brain. And why don't you tell them that the phenylalanine in aspartame is genetically engineered in E. coli bacteria and breaks down into DKP or diketopiperazine, a brain tumor agent. In food unisolated from the other amino acids in protein it does not break down into a tumor agent!!!! And why don't you tell them the phenylalanine can concentrate the placenta and cause mental retardation, if the baby lives at all! And why don't you tell the public that methanol is a cumulative poison that breaks down into formaldehyde and formic acid (ant sting poison) and causes metabolic acidosis? And why don't you admit when methanol is in fruit or vegetables it is always accompanied by ethanol which is the antidote to methanol toxicity and takes it safely out of the body? And why don't you tell the public you don't slur your words when you eat an orange, go blind or die from methanol toxicity like Patricia Craine and Joyce Wilson did from aspartame? From: Journal of Applied Nutrition, Volume 36, Number 1, l984, ASPARTAME: METHANOL AND THE PUBLIC HEALTH by Dr. Woodrow Monte "Ethanol, the classic antidote for methanol toxicity, is found in natural food sources of methanol at concentrations 5 to 500,000 times that of the toxin. Ethanol inhibits metabolism of methanol and allows the body time for clearance of the toxin through the lungs and kidneys."
- How do you consider one of the pivotal studies that approved aspartame, SC 18862, showing 6 out of 7 monkeys fed aspartame having grand mal seizures (1 died) as proving safety? Then you tell the public aspartame doesn't cause seizures! Wurtmanís reports (MIT) on phenylalanine clearly explain how it lowers the seizure threshold of the brain! And you last 4 different types of seizures on your report of 92 documented symptoms!
- Why when faced with the fact that you have approved a seizure triggering drug for the public you have done nothing to alert the FAA. As pilots continue to have grand mal seizures in the cockpits of commercial airliners how do you justify turning a blind eye and deaf ear when this is such a great hazard to aviation. Both the U. S. Air Force and the Navy warned all pilots off aspartame in their publications. In the Air Force journal, FLYING SAFETY, May 1992 it says: "In pregnancy the effects of aspartame can be passed directly on to the fetus, even in very small doses. Some people have suffered aspartame related disorders with doses as small as that carried in a single stick of chewing gum. This could mean a pilot who drinks diet sodas is more susceptible to flicker vertigo, or to flicker induced epileptic activity. It also means that all pilots are potential victims of sudden memory loss, dizziness during instrument flight and gradual loss of vision." Instead of telling the FAA to alert all pilots you open the floodgates pouring more of this poison into the marketplace with blanket approval. I can't help but wonder how you can muster the audacity to continue your farce telling the public this deadly neurotoxin has been proven safe. Why don't you just put Monsanto's address on your stationery so the people know where you stand? On Hardcopy on 12/31/96 Continental pilot Haynes Dunn explained how he had a seizure losing his health and occupation. Another pilot admitted he completely blacked out. Nothing like having pilots having grand mal seizures and blacking out on commercial airliners flying a plane with hundreds of passengers! And what about the pilots lives or do you care? I guess to ask the question is to answer it. An American Airline pilot petitioned them to remove Equal but American kept their Monsanto account. And then pilot Virgil Culp died from it! The FAA says they can't warn pilots off of aspartame as long as you say itís safe. Here you are with a pivotal study in hand, SC 18862, that shows 6 out of 7 monkeys had grand mal seizures from using aspartame (7th died), and KNOW WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT IT CAUSES SEIZURES and you REFUSE to tell the FAA to warn pilots. What kind of people are you anyway - this TREMENDOUS hazard to aviation which has already caused pilots to have seizures with a planeload of passengers and you do nothing but approve more of this poison. Your own report of symptoms list 4 different kinds of seizures in the population and Dr. Wurtman of MIT has mentioned these seizures from aspartame many times. So while U. S. Air Force and the U.S. Navy has already warned their pilots off the FDA simply shows more loyalty to Monsanto by dumping more of this seizure triggering drug on the public. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if aspartame has 50% of phenylalanine in it, itís going to lower the seizure threshold of the brain. Plus wood alcohol and the altitude make pilots particularly prone to problems. You also know that wood alcohol (methanol) blinds, and have already had one petition to ban aspartame on this basis as people started losing their sight. You know this toxin causes people to have vertigo, and lose their equilibrium, on the FDA report as well. Yet, with full knowledge that pilots are flying planes with 300 and 400 passengers and can have seizures, lose their vision and equilibrium (and do), you continue to standby and do nothing. Do you not consider this irresponsible behavior by a Government agency that is supposed to protect the people from these kinds of poisons?
- In October l986 the Community Nutrition Institute in Washington, D.C. wrote a petition to ban aspartame because people were going blind. Why didn't you do it? In the l980's Dr. James Bowen who also became deathly ill on aspartame told you it was mass poisoning of the American public and more than 70 countries of the world. Why did again you turn a deaf ear? In his last paragraph he said: "In light of the above 4 points, I highly recommend that you deny in every way possible any subterfuge of respectability that the aspartame people have enshrouded themselves and their product in hopes of quickly denying its access to the worldwide marketplace. I write this, not believing that it will do the slightest bit of good in the sense of affecting the labeling issue per se, but that instead it might reach some honest, concerned, conscientious individuals in the process." It looks like more and more people know exactly what to expect from the FDA! Do you know how many people would still be alive if you had banned aspartame when you were petitioned?
- When rats developed brain tumors in the original studies why did you not demand these studies be replicated?
- Pate of the National Yogurt Assoc. petitioned that aspartame not have to be labeled in yogurt. What have you done about this? This would be against the labeling law that requires a PKU warning. But then Pate knows this since he was head of the National Soft Drink Assoc. who wrote a 30 page protest against aspartame being allowed in carbonated beverages. Then the NSDA switched sides and lobbied for NutraSweet! Do you know the reason why?
- Why are companies like Coke allowed to have products like Fresca that contain aspartame in a machine that bears no PKU warning?
- Why are drug companies not required to have aspartame labeled on the outer container with a PKU warning. In the case of Cherry Alka Seltzer, for example, it is not on the box and only on the insert. Therefore, people who have to read the labels to avoid this toxin would not realize until they opened the package it had aspartame in the product, and therefore have to take it back. And how many people would read the insert not seeing it on the box? And how many people carry magnifying glasses for this purpose?
- What about other unpublished studies showing dangerous findings?
- After refusing to approve NutraSweet for 16 years because of the brain tumor issue, knowing rats developed astrocytomas, why did you side with Monsanto instead of the people when Dr. John Olney brought this to the attention of the world as the population of heavy aspartame users begin to develop the very same rare brain tumor as the rats? Didn't you expect it?
End of 26 questions
These questions were given to the FDA by an aide to Newt Gingrich in 1997 when he was Speaker of the House, one of the most powerful positions in the US. The FDA said they would have to ask their attorney. That was over two decades ago. The FDA took the fifth like it has on other FOIA requests. If aspartame were safe FDA could have answered the questions. Today there would be many more.
Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum.
Founder, Mission Possible World Health International
9270 River Club Parkway
Duluth, Georgia 30097
Aspartame Toxicity Center: http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame