From: Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum., Bettym19@mindspring.com
Date: Sat, Dec 27, 2008 3:25 pm
Subject: Methanol - Coverup of aspartame by NIH
Dear National Institutes of Health:
You people ought to be ashamed, especially the Toxicology Department. You call yourself giving an expose on methanol and then use aspartame manufacturers propaganda. You're no different than the FDA, defending aspartame manufacturers.
You should know better. You say there is probably more methanol in fruits and vegetables than aspartame. You never explain that in fruits and vegetables they are always accompanied by ethanol, the antidote to methanol toxicity. This is in the peer reviewed journal, Aspartame: Methanol and the Public Health by Dr. Woodrow Monte, on the first page. Further, here is more information on methanol: Scientific abuse in methanol and formaldehyde research http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/abuse/methanol.html Furthermore in nature methanol binds to pectin. Why did you not say that?
Further, in the case of aspartame its free methanol bound to nothing. While you mention the methanol is free you do not tell how dangerous this is. The Trocho Study shows that the formaldehyde converted from the free methyl alcohol embalms living tissue and damages DNA: http://www.mpwhi.com/formaldehyde_from_aspartame.pdf Yet your paper says on page 18 that formaldehyde does not accumulate in humans exposed to methanol. Be sure to read the page on pre-embalming in Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic by H. J. Roberts, M.D.
As Dr. James Bowen wrote discussing aspartame: ........ "Formic acid is a blister poison. Upon killing the first cell it diffuses to cell after cell, creating a BLISTER of dead tissues! Methanol from aspartame, although immediately poisoning you, doesn't instantly elevate detectable blood methanol levels because first it is metabolized within cells into formaldehyde and formic acid which attack the mitochondria within those cells, especially the liver. Blood methyl alcohol levels rise subsequently. Formic acid is fire ant venom. These tiny insects can kill humans weighing millions of times more than they.
"Only after longer aspartame usage does liver damage cause blood methanol levels to measurably rise because the liver mitochondria are so damaged that the liver no longer quickly processes either methyl or ethyl (drink) alcohol. Then the acute methanol poisoning is directly measurable from lab results, as the blood methanol level elevates. This entire sequence or "toxic axis" begins with your very first dose of aspartame. Both acute and chronic poisonings from this methanol toxic axis, and other additive and synergistic aspartame poisonings, steadily accumulate in the aspartame consumer.
"When you consume aspartame, you initiate the methanol toxic axis! In my case I lost my balance, following which, on my second day, I developed toxic cardiomyopathy, with resultant congestive heart failure, resulting in pulmonary edema. Then I who had been until that moment been a two mile per day swimmer, could not even climb a set of stairs, without stopping in the middle to get my wind back.
"With any heavy use of alcoholic drinks, traces of methyl alcohol in those beverages could cause acute methanol poisoning, but the ethanol (a methanol antidote), prevents the methanol toxic axis from developing, so the methanol merely accumulates. As the ethyl alcohol is metabolized and deleted from your blood stream, the residual methanol is metabolized and you get methanol poisoning: hangover!
"Other examples of this toxic axis are the extreme poisonings caused by formaldehyde, which plasticizes corpses, and is a deadly carcinogen. Both acute and chronic poisonings from methanol with the several other synergistic poisonings from aspartame ingestion steadily accumulate within aspartame consumers until finally hastening or culminating in fatal events."
Neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, MD said in his definitive medical text, Health & Nutrition Secrets To Save Your Life, pg 125: "So in the case of diet drinks in aluminum cans, the very toxic brain aluminum fluoride compound co-exists with multiple toxins found in aspartame, thus creating the most powerful government approved toxic soup imaginable. With the strong association between aluminum, excitotoxins, aluminum fluoride complexes and Alzheimer's disease, it would be completely irresponsible to encourage people to consume this toxic mixture." ..
Dr. H. J. Roberts says chronic exposure to methyl alcohol depletes the ability of cells at some point to handle additional methanol, and the effect is a "tipping point of toxicity." Humans are more vulnerable to methanol than lab animals, as we do not possess two or more enzymes required for metabolizing it, so it endures in our systems much longer than in animals. For this reason animal toxicological studies on aspartame/methanol tend to understate its peril to humans.
Dr. Roberts, who in 1984 was distinguished as "The Best Doctor in the United States" by a medical publication, discusses the rate of human methyl alcohol oxidation in his encyclopedic text, Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic,, explaining: "The toxicity of methanol is enhanced by its slow rate of oxidation, only one-seventh that of ethyl alcohol (ethanol)." This means deadly methanol excessively persists in humans, ravaging our vital organs and eventually concentrating in our blood.
Pathophysiologically, methanol toxicity represents a classic example of "lethal synthesis," in which toxic metabolites can cause fatality after a characteristic latent period. Methanol is well absorbed following inhalation, ingestion or cutaneous exposure. It is oxidized in the liver to formaldehyde, then to formic acid, which contributes to the profound metabolic acidosis occurring in acute methanol poisoning. The metabolic products of methanol can produce a syndrome of delayed-onset acidosis, obtundation, visual disturbance and death. American Family Physician 1993 Jan & Oct
This was quite an opportunity for you to tell how deadly free methyl alcohol is in aspartame but you didn't, and you know! Also in molecular chemistry remember its 1 molecule of aspartic acid to 1 molecule of methanol to one molecule of phenylalanine. Now you're talking a lot more free methyl alcohol. You only gave the amount of methanol by weight.
The methyl ester picks up a hydrogen and turns into methyl alcohol CH40
The methyl alcohol loses 2 hydrogens to become formalehyde CH20
The formaldehyde picks up an oxygen to become formic acid CH202
The formic acid exhausts a molecule of H20 to become carbon monoxide CO
Pick your poison
Why didn't you expose aspartame. You know all about it. Methyl alcohol is a class A carcinogen. One ounce can kill or blind you.
Formaldehyde embalming fluid, creates adducts, deformed tissues which the immune system attacks, triggering lupus. And it plasticizes fat, inducing obesity. Formic acid, ant sting poison, effective in very small doses. An industrial use is as an additive to urethane and epoxy seal strippers for industrial floors.
Formaldehyde in the air is so deadly the US Housing and Urban Develo0pment Agency once limited indoor levels from plywood and particle board to less than .4ppm. That's 4 parts in 10 million. Health Canada sets a limit of 5 parts per 100 million! If airborne formaldehyde is lethal at microscopic levels, how come its harmless in Coke or coffee in far larger quantities? Some "diet" sodas have 4 times as much aspartame as others and yield 1/6 gram per liter of methyl alcohol.
This is 1,700 times the limit HUD set in 1984 for airborne formaldehyde. Your innocent children drink this potion and it destroys them - Federal Register 2/22/84 p6677
Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are amino acids present in our food, always accompanied by others of the 20 amino acids we use for protein synthesis. When so buffered these chemicals are nutritious, but isolated they're toxic. Professor of Pediatrics and Genetics at Emory University (formerly) Louis Elsas, M.D., said in congressional testimony 11/8/87 "I have spent 25 years in biomedical sciences trying to prevent birth defects caused by excess phenylalanine. Therein lies my basic concern, that aspartame is in fact a well known neurotoxin and teratogen (causes birth defects) which will ... irreversibly in the developing child or fetal brain produce adverse effects."
Neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D. explains that aspartame is toxic, like arsenic and cyanide. Aspartic acid excites brain cells to death. He issued a warning to pilots: "Aspartame exposure significantly increases formaldehyde in all tissue including the brain and retina. Formaldehyde is a carcinogen. Read: Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, http://www.russellblaylockmd.com
Aspartame is blessed by the FDA, but to maintain perspective one must keep in mind FDA's batting average when it comes to approving medicines. 51% of FDA approved drugs have serious or fatal side effects which hospitalize 1,500,000 and kill 200,000 annually.
How can such a highly advertised product be sold if its poison? Ask the tobacco companies?
With all your writing one statement would have gotten the point across: Free methyl alcohol in aspartame is lethal!
NTP-CERHR Expert Panel report On Reproductive And Developmental Toxicity Of Methanol:
Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum.
Founder, Mission Possible World Health International
9270 River Club Parkway
Duluth, Georgia 30097
Aspartame Toxicity Center: http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame